This is a rough syllabus for the course. Topics may change week to week as I develop the curriculum further and in response to student feedback.
- Week 01: Introduction to VirtualBox and Lab VMs
- Week 02: Example Cyber Attack and Analysis
- Week 03: Malware Taxonomy/Terminology
- Week 04: Static Executable Analysis Overview
- Week 05: x86/amd64 assembly crash-course
- Week 06: x86/amd64 assembly cont.
- Week 07: Utilizing static analysis with Yara, etc.
- Week 08: Binary-level C data structure & construct analysis
- Week 09: PDF/OLE Document + PDFjs, OLE Document + VBA Macro structure / analysis
- Week 10: Spring break - NO CLASS
- Week 11: Obfuscation / exploits - carrier documents
- Week 12: Dynamic Analysis & Run-Time Debugging Analysis, System tracing, inspection
- Week 13: Debugging analysis of running code
- Week 14: no class focus on review
- Week 15: Algorithm analysis, and some review
- Week 16: Finals week - Final project